Monday, February 16, 2009

Music Prospect: Attack Attack

Holy shit...
Epitomize my musical influences: Check

Attack Attack is this Screamo/Electro band from Columbus, Ohio. They are basically everything I have ever wanted from a band.
1. They combine musical styles in all the members. The vocals go from screams and growls like Enter Shikari to the Auto-Tuner vocals shared by All Time Low and T-Pain. The song Stick Stickly goes from genre to genre in the rock category, branching out into screamo, metalcore, post-hardcore, trancecore, pop punk, and everything in between.
2. Any rock band that can use techno/trance beats automatically gets a place in my heart. I love the way that bands are taking splices of things that they like and can pump up a crowd and put it in a song they wrote with all the aggression and passion that would already be felt by the band.
3. Those lyrics are straight from the heart. They are very influenced and proud of their Christian beliefs and are not afraid to show it. It is people and bands like that I have undying respect for. Being able to spill your heart and fight for what you beleive is something I always respect. These lyrics are nothing less of the constant power and love they feel and retain from their belief.


The reason I like most screamo bands is because of the energy they put into all of it. The recordings, the videos, the live shows, all of it require more energy than usual. When blessthefall was shooting their video for Guys Like You Make Us Look Bad (In Pennsylvania, might I add), the original singer Craig Mabbit was hit in the face with the head stock of a guitar when the guitarist was pushing the guitar. Mabbit was jumping around, then suddenly he is on the ground bleeding. It later showed that he broke some teeth because of the hit. A band I saw live once was tuning up, and the singer had said, "Look at this. My guitarist is bleeding all over his guitar for you." He had cut his finger on one of the strings while playing. Bands like that just give me chills because of their love of it, and Attack Attack seems to epitomize it.

If you are into this sorta scene, on my scale of Dump (do not bother listening to), Download (worth listening to, not worth the money), or Demand (worth the listen, worth the money), I would say Download. Don't get me wrong, it is a great band with great songs, but it is something you would expect from most screamo bands. The style they choose is very different from most bands, but once you have listened to one of their songs, it is very easy to tell what the next will sound like based on it.

If you like Attack Attack, and would like more music like it, check out Enter Shikari, The Devil Wears Prada, and A Skylit Drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment